Teams matches - postal shoots etc

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

Teams matches - postal shoots etc

#1 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 am

As a coach starting out since 2007, I have been looking for opportunities for MORE coaching experience without much success other than our local and disctrict meetings. This is maybe 3-4 times a year.

I was just wondering do any clubs get involved much with coaching at all? One suggestion was for postal matches to get more interest in the idea of coaching. I know this has been going on for many years in TR, but what about FC???
Last edited by Woody_rod on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMc

#2 Postby DaveMc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:31 pm

In essence I am actually with you on this one Rod. I am not sure how postal shoots would go but certainly feel the need for more team shooting experience. With the leadup to the FCWC and indeed your upcoming trip to the states both coaches and team shooters around the country need some practice. I also think it does wonders for your own shooting skills.

I have been thinking of proposing 2 man teams for fun at club level. each member has to coach the other. Maybe one day a month. Perhaps the scores could be posted somehwere for comparison but I think the important part is just to get the practice and experience.

Cheers,
Dave :)

jcinsa

#3 Postby jcinsa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Dave, you might talk to Trevor about his old days at Murray Bridge.

Several times during the year we have matches where you are partnered with a club mate drawn from a hat.

F Class or TR, doesn't matter, and each shooter coaches the other.

All self handicap. Works well, is a lot of fun, and gives everybody the chance to coach.

John
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

JannieSA

#4 Postby JannieSA » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi everybody

This is a very interesting tread by Woody-rod and carry much importance.
Here, at our place we shoot along TR at all times and during the league period we have a "pairs league" as well.
This is typical for what you refer to; the one shooter coaches the other and the scores are calculated as for individuals
plus the score is added for the coach as well. (this makes it serious so that all work together to get the highest score as a pair.)
This makes it easy to have coach/shooter interaction and both learn to read wind etc.
A shooters coaching score over time shows who is good at it and will most probably the coach select for provincial team matches later in the season.
Jannie Els
Captain: Protea F-Class Team
SOUTH AFRICA

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:43 am

It would be good if some prize shoots had some coached matches or some Bisley style matches, whether it is a separate novelty event at first or whatever. Something different which will help our abilities (as coaches and shooters) improve.

In the meantime I intend to get some limited practice by coaching some new shooters at our club who are borrowing my rifles.

Southcape

#6 Postby Southcape » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 am

At the Great Southern OPM we have a DRA team shoot which is open to target rifle and f class teams. 4 shooters and a coach. $5 entry per team.

It doesn't really add any extra work to the program.
Linda

Return to “General Forum”