the new marking system has

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Lynn Otto

#16 Postby Lynn Otto » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Has anyone considered that having the same position but different colour may be a major issue for someone who is colour blind?

actionclear

#17 Postby actionclear » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:25 pm

One of our club members is colour blind, he has never had a problem.

Regardless you have to score with a spotting scope, so you compare the spotter with the indicator value.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

M12LRPV

#18 Postby M12LRPV » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm

It probably depends on the nature of the colourblindness. I've worked with a few colourblind people and their colourblindness has been very different in what they can and cannot see based on the colour they're looking at and the colour of the background.

Still I can appreciate the problem. We've ended up with more scoring values than practical positions to show them.

Lynn Otto

#19 Postby Lynn Otto » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:35 pm

M12LRPV wrote:Still I can appreciate the problem. We've ended up with more scoring values than practical positions to show them.

Not really, consider the Championship target which is metric so requires more value positions than is currently being required and it was never a problem.

I don't have an issue either way, I'd be happy to see a good reason to get rid of the dangerous paddles.

I still think there may be a real problem with with the colour change on the score disc and I would not like to see a shooter lose points because a colour blind person, through no fault of their own, was unable to clearly ascertain the correct value.

Malcolm Hill

#20 Postby Malcolm Hill » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:35 pm

The first time I saw the marking system was at the State Teams in Brisbane and it never caused any problems at all but at that time there was no Super V in use. With the Super V now being used the different colour marking disc/paddle as well as the white spotter takes care of that as well. Our club has been using the marking system for a while and painted the back of the paddles flouro pink and it is extremely easy to see when a Super V is signalled. Other benefits of the new marking system are that the signalling positions go in sequential order around the target from left to right, none are too high for markers to reach (hands up anyone who has had a shot go through the top of a long range target and has been unable to patch it because they cant reach it) and for the people that didn't want to lose the Championship target you now get a white spotter in the Super V to aim at once you have hit it making it just like the old 10 ring.Plusses all round I say.
Regards Malcolm.

VickiMcc

#21 Postby VickiMcc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:51 am

What an ignorant bunch of people you all are.

I asked a question earlier about where to find new rules and not one of you could be bothered to respond. Each and everyone of you seem to know about the changes.

Well i guess i will just ignore you guys if i see you at a range

Lynn Otto

#22 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 am

VickiMcc wrote:What an ignorant bunch of people you all are.

I asked a question earlier about where to find new rules and not one of you could be bothered to respond. Each and everyone of you seem to know about the changes.

I am so sorry that you feel slighted, Linda did tell you that the information was available on the NRAA website.

I had the info sent to me via email which is not so easy to attach but it did say it would be available on the website.

Someone else may be able to provide better info.

Edit: A summary is available here: http://www.safclass.com.au/News-1.html

M12LRPV

#23 Postby M12LRPV » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 am

Lynn Otto wrote:
VickiMcc wrote:What an ignorant bunch of people you all are.

I am so sorry that you feel slighted, Linda did tell you that the information was available on the NRAA website.

I had the info sent to me via email which is not so easy to attach but it did say it would be available on the website.

Someone else may be able to provide better info.

Edit: A summary is available here: http://www.safclass.com.au/News-1.html

The problem is that it isn't on the web site.

I was about to type the same sort of response but to cover my backside I had a look first. There are two updates that cover targets and specifically the positioning of the score disk for super V and the 1 point score but nothing about moving the others scoring points to the bottom of the target.

Member Update MU31 does mention the issue of the 12 o'clock wand position and that QLD have adopted the IFCRA system while a review is conducted but beyond that there is nothing.

Now i'm no stickler for the rules being enforced to the N'th degree and beyond but it would seem that VickiMcc has a legitimate gripe (and the SA website may have jumped the gun a bit too)

I feel sorry for Bob Pederson who's no doubt slowly working his way through all of the quirks and lost communications with regards to the rules changes over the years.

It's getting there though. The latest communications are the best i've ever seen.

ger

#24 Postby ger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 am

I can assure you all that we (specifically Bob , Catherine, and I but also the Board generally) are acutely aware of the currently dilapidated standard of the rules that we are supposed to be adhering to. And a lack of cohesion, if I can put it that way. It is being addressed.

Bob is with me here in Campbell Town and hopefully I can get to talk to him before I head off to catch the boat after the end of proceedings here this afternoon. Please note that both of us have been somewhat preoccupied over the last week or two.

It may well be a month or more before we can sort it out - but my role in this is really only to do with the posting on the website so I can't speak with authority or for Bob (or anyone else). And I certainly do not have any role in regards to their content. But please bear with us.

In the meantime hopefully we can get some clarifying material up that will help clear up any confusion. I know I have a lot of stuff to deal with once I get home (this week) but I think mainly to do with the WLRC. I haven't had a chance to assess it all yet.

Geoff.

NRAA Webmaster.

bruce moulds

#25 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:18 am

not having experienced the new system, i must listen to those who have, and thank them for their advice.
i rest easier having heard of first hand experience, and how problems were overcome.
let's hope it all goes well.
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Barry Davies

#26 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 am

Used it for the first time at Bendigo yesterday.
Excellent system-- goodbye to those stupid wands.
All targets at Bendigo are set up for the new system ready for the Vic Queens in a few weeks.
Only problem that we can see is the possibility of TR shooters not liking the indicator permanently on the target--- won't bother F class though.
Positive move.

Barry

Lynn Otto

#27 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 am

M12LRPV wrote: (and the SA website may have jumped the gun a bit too)

I don't think they have jumped the gun, this information was made available to us by our State Association for general distribution following the NRAA meeting.

As Geoff has said both he and Bob have been pre-occupied this last week or so. I'm sure the intention had been for it to be on the site as stated and they simply ran out of time. There is a limit to what one person (or two) can fit into a day.

So on behalf of those of us who received it direct from our state associations, I apologise for assuming it was available to everyone.

ger

#28 Postby ger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Information about the ICFRA Marking and Scoring is now on the NRAA Website. It's another PDF and the link to it is on the home page.

It seems I had it all the time but overlooked it in my haste to leave for Tasmania.

Geoff.

bruce moulds

#29 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:11 pm

barry,
you're dead right about getting rid of wands.
i don't know how the bendigo marking discs work, but anyone who has scored using the velcro ones at lower light sings the praises of the concept.
fullbore shooters do not seem to mind it so far.
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

rod mahon

#30 Postby rod mahon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:04 am

Just back from Tassie . I initially had my doubts about the scoring system
but it was great I& did not hear any complaints at all
I shoot fairly quickly and it was a great help most shoots took 5 - 6 mins
If all scorers & check scorers have binoculars or scope (which they should ) the super V & 6 were easy to pick my biggest problem was the scorer calling 6 or X some calls sounded very similar

Return to “General Forum”