Double Discipline shooting

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Warwick Brown

#1 Postby Warwick Brown » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:23 am

With the introduction and national exceptance of the super V target system, we have seen all three types of shooting mixed on all targets in the Queens in Perth and in Canberra 2010. An excellent achievement and a step forward for the movement.
Now that we are all using the same targets, the question comes to mind - why not shoot 2 disciplines at the same prize meet or Queens if you want to? Double entry fees :cry: , double marking :? , BUT double shooting. :D
Three hard and fast rules that I suggest for discussion here.
1. Shooters doing so, shoot on the same gallery for both disciplines regardless of FS, FO or TR.
2. Shotters are placed at least 3 apart from themselves to allow double marking.
3. If using the same rifle and changing barrels then the time is started when the scorer calls for a start. ( no extra time)
I'have taking up target rifle this year as I think they are starting to need their numbers proped up. Wouldn't mind shooting both TR and FS though, at the same meet.
More entries with the same number of people. Most clubs would see green go i would think.

What do you guys think?

Sorry - I keep throwing spanners in the fire and they tend to get hot.......
But always trying to improve on our awsome sport.

Warwick Brown WA
Perceive-Believe-Achieve

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:29 am

Warwick,

I can't see any insurmountable problems - it may trip up some of the stats software around, but that's fixable.

I remember one shooter getting permission to do it on the electronic targets at Geelong - he shot F-Std and F-Open. Afterwards he vowed never to do it again - he was rushed off his feet shifting gear around, trying to do his scoring duties etc. and didn't shoot either discipline up to his normal standard.

It wouldn't be my cup of tea - I obviously prefer a more relaxed pace than you do.

Alan :)

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:10 am

I wouldnt want to do it myself at a big 3 or 5 day shoot, having to rush around doing double the work, but I think if someone fitter and keener than me wanted to do it, then definitley, what is the problem?

At a smaller local one day prize shoot, I wouldnt mind doing TR and FO.

Mark Hamersley

#4 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi Warwick

If the event organisers are happy I don't see why not. Adds another entry and those doubling up get more range time. I'm in favour.

best regards

Mark

Matt P

#5 Postby Matt P » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Back in the very early days of F Class, this was done at a few OPM's but there was winghing and bitching that there was an "unfair advantage" because those doubling up got a "pratice run" with conditions and there were protests etc etc, I don't have an issue with nor would I want to try it.

Matt P

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 pm

matt,
2 disciplines - 2 lugs.
3 disciplines - 3 lugs.
you could shoot fullbore, std, & open.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

johnk

#7 Postby johnk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:17 pm

The the Millennium will get me Optical as well?

actionclear

#8 Postby actionclear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:39 pm

I have no problem with it.
Last edited by actionclear on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

bruce moulds

#9 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:09 pm

john,
what about fullbore, fopen, fstd, and ftr?
for those who love loading ammo.
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Warwick Brown

#10 Postby Warwick Brown » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Linda,
Yes that is one example that may happen. Hope it does and hope Bill does well, but I was also thinking of shooting TR and F Class at some future prize meetings myself now that I have started learning the ways of the sling.

Warwick........
Perceive-Believe-Achieve

actionclear

#11 Postby actionclear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Turncoat.

:lol:
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

actionclear

#12 Postby actionclear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Hey Alan, why do we still have Santa hats on the smilies?

Poor little guys are going to pass out in this heat! :P :lol:
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

johnk

#13 Postby johnk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Heat? Bloody rain.

You'd be from WA then! :roll:

johnk

#14 Postby johnk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:38 pm

bruce moulds wrote:what about fullbore, fopen, fstd, and ftr?

Heck, If I run it on a light bip in the old wood stock at under 8 KG, I'm entitled to shoot both Standard & F/TR at one hit anyway, ain't I?

Peter Hulett

#15 Postby Peter Hulett » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 pm

At Geelong we have a fixed firing point and so it is much easier for shooters to enter multiple disciplines and as we only have a scorer (no check scorer) then the demands on the shooter are a lot less. A shooter can, for example, shoot at 300 metres, score and then head up to 600 metre shooting position to shoot there in another discipline.

What is required is an agreement with the shooter that there will be extra pressure on them, some creative squadding from the organisers and a general agreement from the fellow shooters that we are all here to have fun.

As Alan said, the first time we tried it was a bit of a mess but our systems are now pretty refined and so most of the issues have been sorted out.

Return to “General Forum”