1,000 Yard Bench Rest

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Paul Janzso

1,000 Yard Bench Rest

#1 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed May 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Maybe Jeff Rogers can shed some light on the subject for us.
Jeff, what is the procedure for 1,000yd BR?
Do you have sighting shots?
How many?
I have read the scores and it seems light benchrest , you have 5 scoring shots but heavy class you shoot 10 scoring shots, is this correct?
Any thing else we should know?

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

a.JR

Re: 1,000 Yard Bench Rest

#2 Postby a.JR » Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 pm

HI PB, Australian 1000yd benchrest closely follows the original 1000yd matches that came from the US back in 1967.. Most of the 3 different ranges in OZ have a standard match that comprises of a Light Gun And a Heavy Gun class that consists of 2 targets in one day, L/G is up to 17 lbs and H/G is unlimited.. Light is a 5 shot target and heavy is a 10 shot .. 2 sections to each detail are ...First is the sighter period , it is 6 minutes long , during this 6 minutes you have available an unlimited #s of sighters , all of which are marked by the pit crew .. Second is the record period and is 10 minutes long for both classes , and is traditionally shot with no assistance as to the fall of shot throughout the whole 10 minutes .Naturally you do get to find out how good or bad you have done at the end of the comp after receiving your targets back ..1K benchrest is not F/Class, never has been ,never will be , because it has 2 distinct sections ,1 is score and the other is Group ..You can win group OR score OR both ,but one thing to remember is that the Group is always predominant in the results .. It would be great to see your SA area get 1000ys BR up and running,, i for one would love to see the results in print..JR..Jeff Rogers [quote="pest bird"]Maybe Jeff Rogers can shed some light on the subject for us.
Jeff, what is the procedure for 1,000yd BR?
Do you have sighting shots?
How many?
I have read the scores and it seems light benchrest , you have 5 scoring shots but heavy class you shoot 10 scoring shots, is this correct?
Any thing else we should know?

Cheers
Paul[/quote]

Paul Janzso

1,000 yard BR

#3 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu May 13, 2010 9:49 am

Thankyou for the reply Jeff.
I have mentioned to a few members at MBRC that it would be great to get 2-3 concrete benches set on the end of our 1,000yd line for 1,000yd BR.
Then maybe we could get involved in 1,00yd BR postal matches.
Thank you Jeff
Paul

a.JR

Re: 1,000 yard BR

#4 Postby a.JR » Thu May 13, 2010 10:34 am

PB, Great news if MBRC can get it going , let me know and i will book a flight for the 1st one .. Point of note , some of the shooters at the other ranges have taken up the option of going to a F/class style of record period which includes each shot being marked just like the sighters are .. If you guys wanted to be included in the AUS v US postal comp that runs 5 times per year ,then you will have to shoot it by the original LRBR methods (blind or no marked record shots) as the Americans will have nothing to do with any marked target system in a comparison .. It is not fair to compare the two methods ,especially when it comes to the actual results ..JR..Jeff Rogers [quote="pest bird"]Thankyou for the reply Jeff.
I have mentioned to a few members at MBRC that it would be great to get 2-3 concrete benches set on the end of our 1,000yd line for 1,000yd BR.
Then maybe we could get involved in 1,00yd BR postal matches.
Thank you Jeff
Paul[/quote]

Paul Janzso

1,000 yard BR

#5 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu May 13, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Jeff

I'm sure some of the MBRC Members are watching this thread. We have a committe meeting this weekend and it may be tabled that we build a few benches for use in the morning, before the usual 1.00pm Club Championship starts.
I hope it goes ahead, my Boo Boo will be a waste just shooting flies.

Cheers
Paul

BATattack

#6 Postby BATattack » Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 pm

if you get this running ill be there for shure! :lol:

maby a few benches up from the boo boo though!

RAVEN

#7 Postby RAVEN » Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 am

Hi PJ
SARA has 3 mobile benches I'm sure
I have shot from them before and they are solid.
Set them up on the 1000 mound with that large white marque over the top.

Do you intend the FCASA to be involved or would this be a MBRC thingy?

Maybe we could discuss the event details on the way up to Pt Augusta

Jeff where do we get the targets from?

RB :D

a.JR

Targets

#8 Postby a.JR » Fri May 14, 2010 7:56 am

The only place i have been able to get the targets is the *National Target CO. inc* Frederick MD in the US.. The NRAA has this shoot on it's books ,so mabye they have targets available.. I have not been able to get them made as cheap in AUS over the last 11 years .. My home club is a SSAA based sanction and as such we buy our own targets , the last lot of 200 took about 2 weeks and cost AUS $541.52 .. We pay $10 per shoot ,each, which covers the 2 targets and leaves a little over for the end of year Xmas Tea & Scones ( piss up ) ..In a pinch i have some of my larger previously shot targets that i don't want ,you guys could have them for the cost of the post .. We have used patched out targets in a pinch before today .. I have a bunch of info if you guys are interested ,the rules ,the US postal set up .and including the best groups and scores shot around OZ since 1999 at Townsville ,Brisbane (only up to 2009) and naturally Canberra where it all started ..JR..Jeff Rogers

Paul Janzso

1,000 yard BR

#9 Postby Paul Janzso » Fri May 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi Jeff

Could you send the "bunch of info please"
It would be much apreciated.

Cheers
Paul

dave

1000yd BR

#10 Postby dave » Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm

as Jeff has mentioned, it would be great to have another australian state, entering and competing in the International 1000yd BR Postal Matches with the Americans.

all competitors who follow the traditional "blind mode of shooting for the record target" will automatically be included in individual and team results for this competition.

the remaining designated months for this years matches are, may, july, september and november.

all that is required, is that competing clubs hold their matches,during the nominated months, follow the stipulated "blind" procedures and then send their results, so that they can be included with those achieved by competitors from Victoria, Qld,NSW and Canberra.

the tabulated results are then sent and compared with the Virginia 1000yd BR club.

Feel free to PM if you need any additional information.

http://www.virginia1000.com/aussie.page.htm

cheers
dave goodridge

BATattack

#11 Postby BATattack » Fri May 14, 2010 11:20 pm

i can probably get hold of another mobile bench aswell. thatd make 4 if raven could get the other 3 :lol:

maby not quite as good as a concrete benches but they are very solid and it'd deffinatly get the ball rolling.

you would only need to use an old patched out target or even a championship target for sighting in and then go to a record target. or do you patch your sighters and use the same target for record aswell during the postal comp?

IanP

#12 Postby IanP » Sat May 15, 2010 8:25 am

Paul, with all this interest maybe make the shoot on a Sunday once a month so all interested shooters could attend. Saturdays are fine for MBRC members but if others are keen then maybe once a month on a day that doesn't conflict with local club comps could be an idea.

Ian

Paul Janzso

1,000 BR

#13 Postby Paul Janzso » Sat May 15, 2010 11:48 am

Hi Jeff
We would shoot the comp "blind" for sure as if we get some regular followers, I'm sure we would all like to be part of the Postal Shoot.

Jeff , could you send the targets to me, I will cover the cost of postage and handling, my address is
59 Riverview Drive
Port Noarlunga
S.A. 5167

We have one of the SARA benches at MBRC and they are solid, the other 2 would be great for a start, Then we will see if we could include your bench, Adam.

I spoke with Terry Brown yesterday, he is a MBRC member and he is also keen for this to get off the ground. Terry sugested we hold comps on Sunday's so we do not upset the TR shooters. We also talked about setting concrete pads in the groung so the portable benches will be even more stable. then we thought setting concrete bases at the 600 meter line, but we will see how the 1,000yd goes first.

There is a committe meeting today at MBRC and JCINSA is going to table it at the meeting, I think Terry will be there as well.

Thank you Dave for the info and website, very interesting.

I do hope we get the go ahead .

Cheers
Paul

a.JR

#14 Postby a.JR » Sat May 15, 2010 12:51 pm

HI Paul , I can ask my fellow shooters if it's OK to send you say 25 new targets and you guys can just replace them ..One of the stipulations from the Virginian range in the US is to take pictures of each competitors targets and we send those over with the shooters name on them after each months comparison .. Next date is the month of July . mabye you guys can get it ready by then .. We shoot a used target as a sighter as it has no real value only shows each shot placement and then on a velcro attached board the business target is placed over the sighter so that the minimum of time is taken ..If your going into the Record target with only what you can remember from what happened during the sighter period , then it has to be quick ..I will put together the latest top 10 groups and scores from around OZ and then you guys will have something else to aim for .JR..Jeff Rogers

BATattack

#15 Postby BATattack » Sun May 16, 2010 4:25 am

..If your going into the Record target with only what you can remember from what happened during the sighter period , then it has to be quick ..

exactly what i was thinking jeff

would you be able to explain how the score is included in determining the winner?

Return to “General Forum”