Ammunition on Virgin flights?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

John Weigel

Ammunition on Virgin flights?

#1 Postby John Weigel » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:41 pm

Although Qantas requires, and readily issue a special advance permit to carry ammunition on flights, the online Virgin information doesn't mention any sort of equivalent permit requirement. Has anyone recently traveled to a match with Virgin, and able to confirm it is a simple as that? Like all things firearms, I prefer to not just cold call a representative in the Philippines and ask the question. I can still switch to a less convenient Qantas flight if Virgin isn't straightforward in this regard. Thanks.

MarkS

Re: Ammunition on Virgin flights?

#2 Postby MarkS » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:42 am

Hi John,
I travelled interstate to a match in August with Virgin.
Was very hesitant too before hand.
It's all very straight forward (just book an extra bag so your gun case is already paid for on ticket).

Max 5kg of ammunition, each cartridge must be separated (MTM cases), separate to firearms, in your check-in luggage. Lock it

When you go to check in a question is "are you carrying restricted items...firearms, Ammo, etc?"
a "YES" instantly knocks you out of self check-in and says, "see a staff member".
I just went up to Virgin staff and pointed at the big gun case and said I was travelling with a firearm.
From there they couldn't have been more helpful with check-in, asking the questions re equipment and how ammo is packed, tagging, secure taping case and taking me to oversize drop off.
They also reminded only a law enforcement officer could request I open case and this can not be done in public (had a mate where they were saying "open the case" at check in once. He pointed out to them it had to be done in a private room...)

At the other end you wait with you boarding pass and weapons license and the guys check those then hand over you rig.
Easy

Scroll down to Travelling with Firearms and see Dangerous Goods link re ammo rules
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/t ... ile-items/

Ammunition rules here - Permitted Dangerous Goods
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/t ... ous-goods/
Going broke one primer at a time

John Weigel

Re: Ammunition on Virgin flights?

#3 Postby John Weigel » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:07 am

Thank you Mark.

John

Return to “General Forum”