Canadian Rifle shooter moving to Oz

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bigmatty

Canadian Rifle shooter moving to Oz

#1 Postby bigmatty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Good Day Folks,
In a few years I will be retiring from the Canadian Forces and moving to Australia with my wife ( Who is Australian). I am active in Precision Rifle shooting and Service rifle competitions here in Canada with the BCRA.
I know most of my toys I cannot bring with be but I am pretty sure my Remmy 700's are OK.....I hope...

Anyway, my question to you is there any similar type of shooting styles like this currently in Oz? Basically its Bi-pod shooting with a rear bag, or sling, sometimes off a wall....etc.

Looks like will either be in Tassie or Melb area.

Hopefully this will all pan out and I can continue my hobby down there.
Cheers

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Hello bigmatty,

What ranges do you normally shoot? And what calibres? You will no doubt be welcome on a NRAA (our governing body) affiliated range , but we just need a bit more information to see what shooting class might suit you, or maybe one of the SSAA (another shooting body) classes will be closer to what you want.

Alan

bigmatty

#3 Postby bigmatty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:15 am

Alan,
Thanks for the note,
I am shooting .308 from ranges varying 100m - 800m ( all depends on the ranges we are using).

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 am

We should have all you need under the NRAA umbrella. F-Class Standard goes from 300yd to 1000m, and there will hopefully soon be another option in F-Class Field Rifle which is pitched at 100 to 300yds. Keep in touch with this forum - ask more questions, and hopefully you'll be able to start shooting as soon as you get to Oz.

Alan

bigmatty

#5 Postby bigmatty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks for the kind words Alan, I am looking forward to it, I have time to research but its always good to get ones foot in the door. Prices seem pricey down there for parts thats for sure! I better stock up on my goodies and parts before moving down :)

Thanks again

Grant

#6 Postby Grant » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 am

If you seek the appropriate permits and lisences you should be able to get your rifles in to the country as long as they are not semi auto.
check this link to start looking for information
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... ent_ID=303
if it is ferel shoot it

bigmatty

#7 Postby bigmatty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:25 am

Thanks Grant,
Is there an issue with Mag Feed Bolt actions? my rig is a mag fed remmy 700.

Also are .22 rimfire BA's good to go as well?

I guess I will be selling my AR and glock :(

Grant

#8 Postby Grant » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:16 am

There is no problems with bolt action rifles that are magazine fed, they are not too keen on magazine capacities in excess of 10 rounds, but that being said they will tollerate larger subject to approval by them.
.22 bolt actions are no problems either
It is just the semi auto's that you basically need a special license catagory for.
if it is ferel shoot it

bigmatty

#9 Postby bigmatty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:58 am

Thanks mate,
I thought it would be fine.

Return to “General Forum”