message for alan frazer

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

message for alan frazer

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:04 pm

hi alan,
i'm getting a 284 going, and i know of another one on the lathe as i type this, and a further one in the offing in s.a. at the moment. :wink:
the braund brothers want us croweaters to give you a hard time when you come over here to defend your title. :lol:
regards,
bruce.

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Bruce,

Good stuff - at least you're using the right case!

I'm sorry to say that I'm not intending to come to SA this year - will probably go to NSW at that time to experience the Anzac Range in case it gets closed soon.

Can I tempt some of you to come over to the Warracknabeal OPM in July. I believe its about halfway between us? Or failing that the Horsham OPM?

Alan

bjld

G'day

#3 Postby bjld » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14 pm

G'day fellas!

I haven't posted for a while, in line with my shooting activity, but I'm going to start again soon.

Good to see you posting still Bruce - I like the idea of a 7mm too, but maybe a 280 AI.

I've been working so much that I'm vitamin D deficient from not being outside my work in the daytime sun.

I'm taking my son out to the No 1 DRA OPM tomorrow week at Lower Light - he turned 5 this month so it's not before time.

While I'm there I'm going to pay my SARA fees and give the trued XR-100 action, Tubb firing pin and spring and Krieger 6mm 1/8 barrel I've had gathering dust for a couple of years to Phil Bradshaw.

If it's ready by October it should be when I've finally got time to go shooting again.

Of course, I'm going to have to build another blocked rifle again eventually.

Regards
Ben

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Welcome back Ben. Is Phil Bradshaw the smith who did your barrel-blocked 6.5?

Alan

bjld

Blocked 6.5

#5 Postby bjld » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Phil Bradshaw chambered the blocked orange rifle for me with my Manson reamer, Frank Pinyon snr made the one piece barrel block to my design and Dan Mussared finished the stock - they're all members of CTV based at the Lower Light range.

A mate of Bruce's, Mike Sutherland (who used to hold a 300m benchrest world record), bedded the block for me in return for borrowing my 22-250AI reamer (another Manson reamer).

I got Larry Chiera to make the tapered scope base for the Barnard action (he trued the XR-100 action for me as well).

When I make another blocked rifle for serious competition I'll be using a Barnard again but I think I'll put the scope base on the barrel block - easier to taper a flat base.

And I think I'll use a 2-piece block next time, although it'll be harder to keep it within the weight limit.

Pretty much makes a T-36 mandatory - Nightforces are pretty heavy.

Then again, I can't get out much these days with my current job so I'm tempted to make a heavy rifle with a 1.45" or 2" barrel - too heavy to shoot in competition, but I'm sure the F-class shooters would enjoy the company.

Regards
Ben

Paul Janzso

284 A GOOD CASE

#6 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi All

I do agree with you Alan, I have had a lot of luck with the 284 case necked up to 30cal, using the Sierra 200gn MK's.
I started out using 190gn Sierra MK's , they shot fine but I wanted to try a higher BC bullet and the 200gn MK's worked great.

I have just built a new rifle on a Barnard action in 300WSM using 220gn Sierra MK's. It wll be having its maiden run at the No. 1 OPM at Lower Light this weekend.

I'm looking forward to catching up with fellow shooters.

Cheers
PJ
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

RAVEN

#7 Postby RAVEN » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Good to hear from you Ben
you better bring your best ammo Pesky Bird because I will be fire forming cases and I will be your only chance to beat me :lol: :P :P :P
BTW stews 6mm is hummin
:arrow: :twisted:
Cheers
RB

Paul Janzso

#8 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 am

Hi Raven

I will be fire forming as well. I have gone to the max with case neck turning, primer pocket truing, flash hole beburing and sorting brass etc. But i'm only using bog standard Sierra's and I did say it is its maiden run.

See ya Saturday.

PJ

RAVEN

#9 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 am

well lets see if your fire form case load beats my fire form case load GAME ON :arrow: :arrow: :twisted:

Paul Janzso

#10 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:34 pm

30CAL VERSES 7MM

Return to “General Forum”