Flash hole sizes

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Walt

Flash hole sizes

#1 Postby Walt » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Recently I had occasion to notice the difference in flash holes between 284 cases in Lapua and Bertram brass. I should qualify this by saying the Lapua brass was a necked up 6.5 originally. The Bertram flash hole is significantly larger than Lapua, at least 30% larger.
I am curious to know what impact this would have on the ignition process and thereby any differences in bullet performance, given all other components (other than the brass composition) are equal.
Academic question really, because I certainly won't be mixing the brass in competition.
Comments invited.

AlanF

Re: Flash hole sizes

#2 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:21 pm

Walt wrote:Recently I had occasion to notice the difference in flash holes between 284 cases in Lapua and Bertram brass. I should qualify this by saying the Lapua brass was a necked up 6.5 originally. The Bertram flash hole is significantly larger than Lapua, at least 30% larger.
I am curious to know what impact this would have on the ignition process and thereby any differences in bullet performance, given all other components (other than the brass composition) are equal.
Academic question really, because I certainly won't be mixing the brass in competition.
Comments invited.

The size of the flash hole would I believe affect the shape, power and duration of the ignition flame, so it could mean that your favourite primer goes out of favour. And if the Bertram flash holes are at least 30% larger then you won't be able to uniform them with a standard uniformer.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”