Why is it so

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

Why is it so

#1 Postby johnk » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:34 am

If I read a thread and come back later, the thread still shows as a new post. The only way to nullify that is to go into the Forum level & marl all as read.

Why?

johnk

Re: Why is it so

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:35 am

No, now that doesn't bloody work either.

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:37 am

That only happens with me if I use the back button. If I scroll down and use the Forum or in this case the General Forum button, then it registers as being read.
Scott.

Rich4

#4 Postby Rich4 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:28 am

johnk wrote:No, now that doesn't bloody work either.

Perversely I seem to get a good laugh from other peoples frustrations with computers, :twisted:

tachyon

#5 Postby tachyon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:32 am

To make the Internet faster a process called caching is used. The very first time you go to get a brand new web page you get all of it (which can run to several dozen - or even hundreds - of items like text, images, style sheets and javascript code). The next time you go to that page your browser will not get all of it. Rather than getting (say) the logo image from the server hosting the webpage in (say) the USA your local (say) iiNet server will serve up the version it got 1 - 10 - 100 - 1000 seconds ago from it's cache. Similarly your web browser caches the web pages and does not get every item every time.

The back button is an extreme version of caching. The reason it (generally) works fast is that the page you see comes entirely from your local browser cache. This version still shows the post you read as unread.

If you do either of a) refresh the page OR b) navigate using the site navigation links the problem will not (generally) happen.

Return to “General Forum”