Match Rifle comp

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Simon C

Match Rifle comp

#1 Postby Simon C » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:21 pm

Hi all,

thought I would share my experience shooting last weekend with the match rifle guys together with other F-Class shooters from MBRC at the Lower Light range S.A. I primarily wanted to go and shoot at this range having not been there before & the fact that the SARA Queens will be held here nd also as it was an opportunity to shoot at long range (something I really enjoy).

Although I have shot 1000yds a few times at MBRC, shooting at 1000m, 1100m & 1200m was an entirely different experience altogether! We were shooting at the fullbore 900m target in light, but tricky wind with a moderate mirage. The light was changing frequently which caused a few problems as well. I was using 175gn SMK's in my Custom Rem 700 in 308win.

I was particulary surprised at the elevation changes caused by the wind which was in some cases up to 1.5moa of shift!! I would hate to see the elev shifts in a stronger wind on this range. All in all, our light rigs performed very well at these ranges with scores ranging between 75-85/90 which were quite good considering the conditions. Tony Q won the day for F-class (revenge for the day before eh Tony :wink: ) I found myself holding off for most shots once I had the base windage dialled in. This proved an effective technique in the flighty wind we were shooting in. I usually prefer to dial in windage and keep a center hold for each shot. I think I will now incorporate holding off more into my weekly club shooting.

The Match Rifle club are having an OPM in late Aug. F-Class shooters are encouraged to attend (All shooting in one class) and from what I could glean, we are welcome to any of their champ shoots. Unfortunately I'm not able to make this OPM as I'm moving house but I would recommend it to all. I felt welcome on the mound with these fellas and learnt alot on the day from them and the experience....... in particular regarding my wind reading, elev changes, consistent position and holding off.

I think I will try to shoot these ranges more often.....The theory is...if i can build confidence at these distances, the ranges I shoot during other competitions may seem closer and my scores may improve.... :D
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

pjifl

Match Rifle comp

#2 Postby pjifl » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:46 pm

If I had the facilities this is what I would be doing. Its fascinating and I think there is a lot of common ground between Match and F. Trouble is, only a minute percent of shooters in Aust can shoot this event. The nearest to me is about 700 miles away !

Peter Smith.

Tony Q

#3 Postby Tony Q » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:30 pm

Yes Simon, my goal is to keep you on your toes!!! 8)

Thats a pitty Peter, match rifle is certainly there to teach the finer points of control and wind reading. I must say that going from 10 round matches to 15 or 20 rounders realy tests your concentration!

Hopefully one day you will will make it down here for a shoot.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Return to “General Forum”