Tuned barrel

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

wsftr

Re: Tuned barrel

#46 Postby wsftr » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Yeah - IMO adding a layer such as what H&H did with the millenium isn't the way to go - but it is thinking the right way in that you want to dampen but you want to do that consistently.
Materials inherent in the object i.e the stock or the action that provide the appropriate rigidity and dampening is more the approach IMO..which is why I think rigidity is a factor that has to be inherent in the design but its not the single driver in precision that stock marketing is really pitching these days.
if ya building longer stocks ya gonna have to make them stiffer so ya may as well market it.

williada

#47 Postby williada » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Come on Trev, you're hanging out. :)

pjifl

#48 Postby pjifl » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 pm

Interesting on the rubber flex system. I always had some doubt but must admit I never used one. When I went from wood > wood + pillar > (both with a compound > to Al V block I think it was a progression in the right direction. I think all can work well but the system has to be practical and robust. Now to me it is a no brainer. I can make Al V blocks easily - often oversized, and do a final precision cut in the mill with little effort. I usually relieve the centre third of the V by a few thou and think it is an improvement.
The Gunsmith or user must know that he can bung something together with total confidence.

The stiffest action is a also no brainer - that is obvious. But interfacing it to a pliable human - Some compliance is needed somewhere and I still see excellent results from fairly flexible stocks. But the points made about how stiff and how to measure it are valid.I

Gyro

#49 Postby Gyro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:03 pm

wsftr wrote:Yeah - IMO adding a layer such as what H&H did with the millenium isn't the way to go - but it is thinking the right way in that you want to dampen but you want to do that consistently.
Materials inherent in the object i.e the stock or the action that provide the appropriate rigidity and dampening is more the approach IMO..which is why I think rigidity is a factor that has to be inherent in the design but its not the single driver in precision that stock marketing is really pitching these days.
if ya building longer stocks ya gonna have to make them stiffer so ya may as well market it.

If there was a stock material with zero flex then long would make sense to me. But there isn't. Short and thick does work ! Just gotta look at a few successful Oz stocks. Plus better for the ergonomics and the challenges of wierd mound slopes too ?

Trevor Rhodes

#50 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:53 pm

williada wrote:Come on Trev, you're hanging out. :)

The rifles shooting brilant and leave sleeping dogs lay.

williada

#51 Postby williada » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 pm

Mate, the paper always tells the story. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Wise man, Trev. :)

Gyro

#52 Postby Gyro » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:24 am

pjifl wrote:Interesting on the rubber flex system. I always had some doubt but must admit I never used one. When I went from wood > wood + pillar > (both with a compound > to Al V block I think it was a progression in the right direction. I think all can work well but the system has to be practical and robust. Now to me it is a no brainer. I can make Al V blocks easily - often oversized, and do a final precision cut in the mill with little effort. I usually relieve the centre third of the V by a few thou and think it is an improvement.
The Gunsmith or user must know that he can bung something together with total confidence.

The stiffest action is a also no brainer - that is obvious. But interfacing it to a pliable human - Some compliance is needed somewhere and I still see excellent results from fairly flexible stocks. But the points made about how stiff and how to measure it are valid.I

Me too Peter, I've seen VERY good accuracy from fairly flexible stocks. I've also seen a few spectacular train wrecks in hard conditions with those stocks.

Gyro

#53 Postby Gyro » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 am

Brett B put up a pic of his new F Open stock recently. I want to put a pic up of mine but buggered if I can start a new thread to do that, plus I just know the pics will be upside down. What to do ?

Edit : am getting some help to get some pics of my stock up on a new thread. Regards Rob Kerridge

GlennA

#54 Postby GlennA » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:04 pm

How much of a 32” parallel barrel should overhang the front of a stock in fclass open? Trying to get a feel for best length for a stock?
There’s a reason for everything!

Return to “General Forum”