Burst Barrel

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Tom Lowndes

Burst Barrel

#1 Postby Tom Lowndes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:35 pm

Allan

Looking in Humour/One Of Section today,and found a story about a burst large cal barrel.

I would like to point out to the ARA Serving member that the wpn is in fact a .50cal, not a .338.

It is also not an Aust .50, but a UK Wpn.

The barrel is NOT a Madco made in Qld as he claims,it is in fact a UK made and fitted barrel.

The incident was caused by an obstruction of dirt/sand in the muzzle brake,not a bore sight as also mentioned.

As an ex serving member[26 yrs],and a Defence Contractor in my own right,I may suggest that perhaps in the good old Army Slang,that these people "Get their S**T in One Sock" before making these posts.

Tom Lowndes

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 pm

Yikes Tom

Give young Sam a break mate. And for the record he did say it was a UK weapon.

It can be seen from the swept back bolt handle to the piece of blown of forend that the rifle could be an Accuracy international AW50 (the AW50 has a separate forend piece) although the muzzle break is not the typical AW50 model but more in keeping with the semi auto Accuracy international AS50

Having said that, the break is similar to the one used on the 338 LM platform, but while the cases are certainly big I don’t think your justified in your criticism.

As for the obstruction … who cares.

As for the barrels, I thought I heard a rumor that Maddco were supplying AI with barrels, they certainly where when I got my AI as it’s a maddco barrel and I had to wait for him to get through AI's order. Now i am unsure if he was supplying 50cal tubes but he did supply them with something 3 years ago.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Tony Q

#3 Postby Tony Q » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:54 pm

For your information Tom

Section from the (AW) L96A1

"As with the PM/L96, the barrel of the AW/L96Al has six grooves, with a right hand twist of one turn in 12 inches, is free floated and stainless steel, and can achieve 0.75 MOA. Currently, two barrel makers manufacture AW barrels: Neville Madden of Maddco Arms, Australia; and Jeff Kolbe of Border Barrels, Scotland. Further, the rifle has an adjustable trigger which is set non-nally to the British Army minimum pull of 4 pounds. (The range of trigger pull settings is 3.5 to 4.4 pounds.) The rifle weighs over 14 pounds without optics and is equipped with a Parker Hale LM6 bipod, which allows for leg adjustment of 8 to 12 inches and canting of approximately 15 degrees. The AW/L96AI is scoped with a lOx42 Hensoldt day scope and emergency iron sights."

Tom Lowndes

Barrel Burst

#4 Postby Tom Lowndes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Tony

Do not believe rumours.
Perhaps you may like to Madco straight out!!

Tom

Tom Lowndes

Specs

#5 Postby Tom Lowndes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:58 pm

I know that.
What is the point?
That has nothing to do with the previous posts?
BFD

Tony Q

#6 Postby Tony Q » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm

Tom read the last post of mine ... its a snippet from a British Army document.

Maddco and Border barrels are used on AI AW rifle platforms. But like i said im insure if Neville is making 50 cal tubes.

Tony Q

#7 Postby Tony Q » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:04 pm

:lol: thanks for the laugh Tom, i needed it.

Return to “General Forum”