Numbers + Clubs + our future.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Tony Q

Numbers + Clubs + our future.

#1 Postby Tony Q » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:25 pm

Okay all you F Clubs

Can you all share your last 12 months with us, in regard to increases, or decreases in memberships.

1. Can you indicate the following as ‘numbers’ of shooters

New to Fullbore
F class transferring to FB

FB transferring to FS
FB transferring to FO

New members to FS
New members to FO

New to a firearms license.

2. For those experiencing ‘growth’ how are you achieving it?

Advertising?
Open days?
Other?

3. How many ‘current financial’ F shooters in your club.

I think if we had an understanding of what was happening out there it may make a difference.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 pm

I guess I’ll start the ball rolling ….

1. Can you indicate the following as ‘numbers’ of shooters in the past 12 months.

New to Fullbore …………………..... 0
F class transferring to FB ………. 1

FB transferring to FS ……………... 1 (+1 maybe)
FB transferring to FO …………..... 0

New members to FS …………...... 2 (+1 maybe)
New members to FO …………..... 1 (+1 maybe)

New to a firearms license. ……. 0

Advertising?
Open days?
Other? …………… Members introducing friends or Advertising/Participation through our training day system.

3. How many ‘current financial’ F shooters in your club …… 13
Last edited by Tony Q on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi TQ good to hear U are back on deck

‘numbers’ of shooters in the past 12 months.

New to Fullbore …………………..... 2
F class transferring to FB ………. 0

FB transferring to FS ……………... 2 soon
FB transferring to FO …………..... 0

New members to FS …………...... 4 maybe
New members to FO …………..... 2 maybe from FS

New to a firearms license. ……. 0

Advertising? (Brochure)
Open days? (Invitational shoot being planed)
Other? ……………Web Site on the horizon
3. How many ‘current financial’ F shooters in your club …………. 15
These are fudgy figures from LL State Range I have be seeing ppl dabble but they come and go

RB :)

Tony Q

#4 Postby Tony Q » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:41 am

G'day raven, its good to be back mate.

I understand the fudgy figures, but i think its important to know how many are financial in total as that incidcates the true growth, or decline, and enables us to adjust our thinking accordingly. The last thing we want is to suddenly get to a critical zone where its difficult to recover.

I guess i should have included 'how many shoot on a regular basis' and 'how many compete in OPM's' to get a detailed sample.

Woody_rod

Re: Numbers + Clubs + our future.

#5 Postby Woody_rod » Sat May 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Okay all you F Clubs

Can you all share your last 12 months with us, in regard to increases, or decreases in memberships.

New to Fullbore = 2

F class transferring to FB = none (thats a joke right?)

FB transferring to FS = 3

FB transferring to FO = none

New members to FS = 6

New members to FO = none

New to a firearms license. = 3

Advertising?
Open days?
Other? Mates bringing mates, or family members bring sons/daughters or wifes

3. How many ‘current financial’ F shooters in your club. = about 8 from 35

Steve T

#6 Postby Steve T » Fri May 30, 2008 1:36 pm

This is our current memberships.

New to Fullbore = none

F class transferring to FB = none

FB transferring to FS = 1 (if you have poor eyesight, get a scope, shoot FS) - do not let FB shooters to give up because of crook eyes, backs, arms and other bits. A scope & bipod solve most of these problems.

FB transferring to FO = 1 (new barrel - from 308 to 6X47L)

New members to FS = none

New members to FO = none

New to a firearms license. = 12

2. For those experiencing ‘growth’ how are you achieving it? Modest growth only

Advertising? Club results in the local paper, regular visibility, creates Pub discussion.
Open days?
Other?
1. Firearms Licence Qualification Course - we run and test for FLQC with NSW Firearms Registry - provides funds and some new members.
2. Provide Rimfire shoots - easy entry for new members with no firearms experience.
3. Provide Field Class shooting - easy entry for new members with sporting type rifles.
4. Allow Field shooters to shoot with FB, FS & FO shooters on FB & FO targets - "try before you get hooked" approach.
5. Recently joined Game Council NSW as an Approved Hunting Organisation to provide more reasons for people to join and then educate them to other Club disciplines.
6. Provide the use of Club rifles in 308 and 22 to assist with firearms interest & selection.

3. How many ‘current financial’ F shooters in your club. = 7 (FO = 3, FS = 1, FB = 3) from 39

John E

#7 Postby John E » Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 pm

G'day Tony, good to hear from you again --- I was wondering if you were still in the land of the living. I was worried, because I couldn't remember whether I owed you a port or you owed me one :D :D It doesn't matter, I'll have one anyway, in fact, I'll have one for you as well!!

I can't give you the exact numbers tonight, but in recent weeks, I would say that we have signed up 8 or 9 new members, all FS.
We had a stall at a day sponsored by the local shire, showcasing all the local organisations, followed by a come and try day the following Saturday. At the stall we had a video supplied by NRAA, depicting rifle shooting, info from S.Aust. thank you, and a display of rifles etc. The VRA supplied ammunition for the come and try day, and we went through about 300 rounds.
We gained 2 junior members, 12 and 14yo, whom we decided to sponsor by way of membership fees.
Our range ( over 100yrs old ), with the 600 yd mound about 150yds from the H'way, is in a patch of heavy bush which kept us hidden from passing traffic. Recently, the h'way has been duplicated, with the new section passing right past our range entrance and club hut. We are now visible from the H'way. We have erected a sign at the gate, with a contact phone number, and welcoming new members.
In recent weeks, we have had constant calls from locals, saying that they didn't know the range existed, even though they drove past it every day, and they are interested in joining up. My Sundays lately have been taken up loading ammo for the club rifles, of which we have just built a new one.
All new members and prospective members have gone straight onto FS, I think mainly because they are familiar with scope sights, and it is easier to settle in behind a scoped and rested rifle than it is to wrestle with a sling and iron sights. Whether we can coax them to try FB at a later date remains to be seen, but at least they have taken the first step and signed up.
We have just put in a 100 and 200yd mound, with the intention of starting Field class, which I think will interest new members.
The thing that strikes me is that although the range has been in constant use in the area for more years than these people have been alive, they didn't know of it's existence until they could physically see it.
I think we need to advertise ourselves a lot more than we do. There are plenty of people out there who would like to shoot.

john

Lynn Otto

#8 Postby Lynn Otto » Fri May 30, 2008 9:35 pm

Actually guys this is an old thread from August last year. But John, my understanding is that Tony is still alive, was sighted at the Murray Bridge OPM last weekend although not too many other places of recent I gather.

Woody_rod

#9 Postby Woody_rod » Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 pm

John, sounds like you guys took the opportunity that was presented, well done.

So good to hear about new young members, as we have a couple now too in the 12 yo age group.

Your comments about the range visibilty is interesting. We discuss this over a beer (or two...) at the bar after shooting - our location, and how it affects our membership.

We are literally in the middle of nowhere - we have bush and farmland on all sides, with the closest town being about 30kms away, and us being about 6kms from a sealed road, let alone a major one!!!

Nevertheless, we believe it does hurt our membership to be in such a remote place. But on the other hand, we dont get any unwanted attention either, so this is one minor benefit (i.e., theft and such things).

John E

#10 Postby John E » Sat May 31, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi Lynn,
I'm pleased to hear that Tony is still around.
I am amazed at the difference that the increased visibility of our range has made to membership. In the last couple of months we have signed up around 9 new members. We shot a pennant match today, 2 x 15 shots at 600yds, and my club had to use 3 targets all day, and another interested local fellow wandered in and stayed until we had finished, and then he had a shot, and said he will be back. We also signed up another chap today, who has visited a couple of times.
It was a hard day, looking after everybody, but it is certainly worth it.
We now need to topdress our new 100 and 200yd mounds and we will start Field class to cater for another lot of visitors who like to shoot their hunting rifles.
Woody, we have been broken into a couple of times over the last 10 years, but I think once they find there is nothing of value to steal, they don't bother coming back.
Our range has been in the same location since 1894, and I'm surprised that the locals were so unaware of it's existence. I'm now sure that the rifle movement should advertise itself more than it does --- we don't need to hide from the public eye.
John

Ken L

#11 Postby Ken L » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:43 am

Grafton Rifle Club current membership varies from 110 to 130 depending when subscriptions are due. We loose some and gain some.
In 1996 the membership was down to 15 then came the introduction of diciplines other than FB. EG F Class Field and Rimfire and since then numbers have increased. Family groups have emerged as the major expansion to our numbers. Recently a new member started the process to join 2 days after his 12 birthday so he could catch up to Mom and elder brothers. Bragging rights for these juniors at school encourage other juniors to join. When a 14 yo girl shoots her first FS 60 it generates interest.
The Clarence Valley has a population of 30,000 spread over a large area.

In the past 3 years there have been;
FB to FS 3
FS to FB 6
FS to TRO 2
Field to FS 3
Rimfire to Field 7
New to Rimfire 7
New to F class Field 9
F class Field to FS 4
F class Field to FB 2
FS to FO 1
FO to FS 1
FS to SR 8
Average Saturday attendance 60 all diciplines
Rimfire attendance 30
FCTS 18
FS attendance 8
FB attendance 9
FS attandance 7
F Field 8
FO 1
Under 15 y 6
Under 25 y 4
Most that are shown as converting to another dicipline shoot their former dicipline as well.
It is not a loss / gain situation. It is an expamsion of interests.
Retired due to Licence renewal, health and financial problems 5

The lower the cost to shoot the higher the participation rate.
Range fees $5 for 1/2 day or $7 for full day. Discount for Juniors.
Juniors going to Queens Prize shoots receive financial assistance.

Prize shoots 2. Field and Rimfire 2 day event and Service Rifle 3 day event that includes Service Pistol, Service Rifle, 3P and Tactical Optical.
The range also caters for Bench rest, Shotgun, Smallbore and Pistol
Current FB Club Champion is 17

Ken L

#12 Postby Ken L » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 am

According to a report in the Grafton news paper the Grafton Rifle club had 33 members that shot Fullbore and or F Class in 2007 that started out shooting Field and Rimfire before expanding their horizons.

Ken L

Return to “General Forum”