Prize meetings

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Trevor Rhodes

Prize meetings

#1 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 pm

What keeps our movement going is Prize Meetings and they are declining in numbers and entries. If members don't support PM it will be the death knock for target shooting. Not only is it competition that gives great pleasure but it is a way of hooking new shoots as the excitement makes them keen. If PM disappeared and club shooting was the only event you had to look forward to you would start to make excuses (to hot, to cold, footies on the tv) not to go to the range and club members would get sick of no one turn up, so they wouldn't. Help yourself and your club by promoting PM's, get target shooting going again before it's to late.

lonerider43

Re: Prize meetings

#2 Postby lonerider43 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:19 pm

all you guys on the coast have it easy compared to those of us inland.
it wouldnt hurt you to make an effort and shoot on some great ranges.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

bad_primer

#3 Postby bad_primer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:34 pm

“What keeps our movement going is Prize Meetings and they are declining in numbers and entries. If members don't support PM it will be the death knock for target shooting.”

You’re definitely right about OPMs being a core element in the competitive calendar. I personally have a couple that I get to each year and make an effort to attend that are with 150km-180km of where I live and they are mildly inland. But that said, from humble and informal observations participant numbers in F-class are not too bad but TR is in real trouble. I’m sure the is a 26pg thread on this sight covering that decline.

“all you guys on the coast have it easy compared to those of us inland.
it wouldnt hurt you to make an effort and shoot on some great ranges.”

Couldn’t agree more, there are some stunning country ranges. Unfortunately For a lot of people it’s a straight up issue of time, leave allowances and cash. It is regrettable and absolutely a loss if OPMs drop off. What I think could work with driving attendances is possibly scheduling a local OPM with broader events that involve a whole family.

It can be difficult to duck out of a weekends parenting duty and leave the missus with kids, house etc. coinciding with an event like a regional show, food festival or whatever the local town/region runs to promote and attract visitors could make the trip easier to justify. Being able to make a small get away or family day trip Could open it up to more participants otherwise constrained by family commitments and considerations.

Just another way of looking at it.

Cutanything

#4 Postby Cutanything » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 am

Ok the question is what do you really expect from a prize meet is it the prize money or meeting new friends. Put answer in writing so clubs can try to actually understand what is expected of them . Most pm don’t seem to meet people expectations but no one informs what issues where with meet . Was it the food? Was it the range condition? If we don’t know we cant overcome the problem. So speak up let committee what was wrong.

UL1700

#5 Postby UL1700 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 am

bad_primer wrote:It can be difficult to duck out of a weekends parenting duty and leave the missus with kids, house etc.

Or get them shooting too! Works for me and keeps my on my toes as my wife is a darn good shot. Let them use good kit, and set them up with a 6br or similar which is extremely competitive out of the box, cheap to run and recoil friendly. If necessary share an action to start, I know we did including at PMs and I switched from Ftr to Open to facilitate this for a year or so but once they are hooked the purse stings can be loosened :wink:

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 am

Cutanything wrote:Ok the question is what do you really expect from a prize meet is it the prize money or meeting new friends. Put answer in writing so clubs can try to actually understand what is expected of them . Most pm don’t seem to meet people expectations but no one informs what issues where with meet . Was it the food? Was it the range condition? If we don’t know we cant overcome the problem. So speak up let committee what was wrong.

Having been involved in running OPMs for about 15 years, I've learn't a few things about what motivates people to come. And not surprisingly, it varies a lot. Some come mainly for the social aspects, others for the competition, others for a leisurely day, and some to support the efforts made to run the event. It would be good if more clubs got involved in running OPMs, even if it is by offering labour and/or sponsorship support to nearby clubs. This would share the load better and help prevent the decline.

tom1

#7 Postby tom1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:36 am

Trevor, the reasons why numbers are declining at Prize Meetings are unlikely to be found on this forum as most on here do go to these events. The answers to this problem are back at our clubs. Ask the shooters at club level why they don't or wont go.
Alan , of the four reasons you have listed it is the last one that gets me to attend the annual DRA Prize Meeting of the association that I belong to . I also make the effort to attend the WARA Queens if I am not busy with work. I simply cant get to other Prize Meetings due to work. I find Prize Meetings hard work, certainly not leisurely. Doesn't help that I am barely an average shot and by the end of the programme I have had enough.
Those of us that aren't good shots or better can find Prize Meetings intimidating at times.
As a Captain of a small country club I encourage members to go but most have been there and done that due to age or they are not interested in the competitive nature of Prize Meetings.
Brad Probert.

GSells

#8 Postby GSells » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am

SE Qld is quite strong , Crowsnest we had like 18 shooters to a board and had to roll through one range to get them all in . I support a lot of opm’s Driving about 700 km’s in a weekend ! I would love to do more . But Business and especially family come first !

Return to “General Forum”