Fake News? Interesting article re US NRA

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bobeager

Fake News? Interesting article re US NRA

#1 Postby bobeager » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 am

probably written by the NRA's enemies, but interesting never the less, even if half true

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... at-the-nra

Gyro

Re: Fake News? Interesting article re US NRA

#2 Postby Gyro » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:13 pm

bobeager wrote:probably written by the NRA's enemies, but interesting never the less, even if half true

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... at-the-nra

Interesting read Bob thanks but why on earth might anyone anywhere - who has critically looked at human behaviour - suspect it's 'fake news' ? Not me, but perhaps I'm just cynical ......

bobeager

#3 Postby bobeager » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Nah! just me being sarcastic. That's how the die hard 2nd amendment people seem see it. The reaction on various US forums has been mixed. Some have commented that the NRA are pestering them for $$$. some are not surprised. Some interestingly, do not support the NRA at all.

Well, we can all relax, I do not think the NRAA and the NZRA need worry about missing $millions.

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:25 pm

A bit much for me,however I scrolled down to another article about first responders and use of tourniquets,good reading.

Gyro

#5 Postby Gyro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 am

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... n-policies

More of the same here : another interesting read. No surprises, I suspect partly due to the "worship of money" in American society, and "appearances".

It all reminds me so much of what J D Salinger wrote about in "The Catcher in the Rye".

Perhaps the younger generation there who can still think freely and haven't been 'bought' yet can bring some changes ?

williada

#6 Postby williada » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:10 pm

What, the liver in the fridge Gyro? :shock:

Gyro

#7 Postby Gyro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:09 pm

williada wrote:What, the liver in the fridge Gyro? :shock:

Please enlighten me williada ? Now I hope you've read Salingers book too when u was a young curious lad ?

williada

#8 Postby williada » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Sure did mate. Holden's commentary covers a wide range of the human condition. This includes the tragic and humourous, the loathesome and admirable, and of course the phony and genuine. Its give a young lad an insight into motive and traps that lay ahead in the journey through life. Have to have read the book to know about the liver. Also enjoyed the old cynical donkey in the Animal Farm who has seen it all before which addresses the other side of politics. Think Aussies and NZers are too independent to be conned by extremists of any persuasion but can laugh at themselves. Like to think we can keep it that way. Cheers, David.

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 pm

williada wrote:Sure did mate. Holden's commentary covers a wide range of the human condition. This includes the tragic and humourous, the loathesome and admirable, and of course the phony and genuine. Its give a young lad an insight into motive and traps that lay ahead in the journey through life. Have to have read the book to know about the liver. Also enjoyed the old cynical donkey in the Animal Farm who has seen it all before which addresses the other side of politics. Think Aussies and NZers are too independent to be conned by extremists of any persuasion but can laugh at themselves. Like to think we can keep it that way. Cheers, David.

Nice mate. Thanks. Perhaps there's more to life than shooting after all ...........

bsouthernau

#10 Postby bsouthernau » Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am

williada wrote:What, the liver in the fridge Gyro? :shock:

Wasn't that Portnoy's Complaint David? Admittedly quite a few years since I last read Catcher in the Rye so I could be wrong in that.

Return to “General Forum”