F Class Queens

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

F Class Queens

#1 Postby Matt P » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:48 pm

To All
If there was a FC only Queens shot at Canberra or Bendigo as a stand alone event at a different time of year to the FB Queens held over 2-3 days and 8-10 ranges with a final with the top 10 in each class shooting off together for the Grand Agg who on this forum would interested ???
Would you be more interested if it where in your home state, if so which state is it ???

Thanks
Matt Paroz :)
If you don't want to post here for everyone to see, please PM me.

Chopper

#2 Postby Chopper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:27 pm

Sounds ok Matt but myself would like to shoot with FB and see and catch up with them as i look forward to that aspect as i have made so many friends and it would be a long time between drinks if it wasnt for that, its where i come from and where many more F class shooters will come from in the not to far future as is already happening,its interesting to see all the c graders dropping of from FB i dont think there was any at the 2 day Bendigo shoot and i hear only 2 in the lead up in QLD and i believe zero in the Queens, old shooters and incomming all going to F class a VERY STRONG sign of the times to come ime sure and i know of few more good Agraders comming over to,so i guess it would be good to stay in sight of them.PAUL.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Matt,

I would support it, provided it isn't intended to be the start of a move away from shooting at existing Queens shoots. It would be good for F-Class to have an occasional shoot to ourselves, and as has been said before, would give TR shooters an opportunity to shoot F-Class at a high level, without having to miss Queens shoots in their preferred category of TR. And its a good idea to call it the F-Class Queens - gives it some class 8) ! Venue - wherever we think we can get the biggest fields.

Alan

#4 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:30 am

Matt, Alan,
Question.
If a stand alone F Class "Queens" or whatever was conducted, would it be expected that F class would be still be a part of every normal state Queens?
Maybe the FB people might just want a stand alone FB Queens?
Carefull fellas, we are only just starting to be recognized as a discipline in our own right, lets not bugger that up in an attempt to increase F Class attendances.
F Class has never been as popular in Qld as in the southern states, not that they do not have many shooters, they do. They just don't support.
There are also other factors as to why the Nationals are a failure and before we start alienating ourselves maybe we should be looking at those other factors, and, having done that and identified possible problem areas, take it up with the organizers.
The two Queens run in Vic and Canberra are very successful as far as F Class is concerned. Why? Because F Class is strongest in those areas and distances to travel are not great.
In about 6 weeks time the QRA will be conducting their own Queens and I would be supprised if the F Class numbers are not more than the Nationals.
Have a look at the overall numbers competing at the Nationals---rather pitiful in all grades, Why?
Apart from Qld and NSW the most any other state had there was 6, from NT and zero from SA.
So what is the problem?
I am asking that Question, I wonder if the NRAA is also asking that question.
Lets not be hasty in moving sideways.
Barry

John E

#5 Postby John E » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:13 am

Barry,
I feel that grading has had a positive impact on attendances in FS, and it was noticeably not included in the Nationals --- perhaps it should have been.
John

#6 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 am

John,
Grading for FS has been included in the new rules, albeit optional for the promoting bodies to include it in their programme, but to date the NRAA have not adopted any system. They have been offered the system we use in Vic, which works very well,but for reasons best known to themselves have chosen not to use it. Maybe they have a better system, who knows?
Seems strange to me that they would including grading in the rules but not have a workable system to implement it.
Maybe they don't like being told what's best for F Class, after having trialed it for a couple of years ( Successfully).
Some people simply have to do things the hard way.
Barry

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:15 am

Barry,

I agree we need to be careful not to distance ourselves from existing Queens shoots. Maybe F-Class numbers are growing, but overall TR plus F-Class are probably not - we need to stick together. United we stand - divided we fall!

Alan :-({|=

#8 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:22 am

Alan,
Truer words were never spoken.
Barry

RAVEN

#9 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Hi Matt
I think the problem is calling it a Queens I agree with Barry in what he has to say for a change :P but I like the idea I was considering going to Horsham because last year it had a great turn out which means greater competition.
I aspire to go to the Nationals Queens one day but the time off and financial expense incurred would not be a regular option I try to go to as many in SA as I can unfortunately they are becoming fewer.
I think I prefer to shoot against a quality field rather than a particular venue eg Belmont.
Cheers
RB
:)

Matt P

#10 Postby Matt P » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:02 pm

I posted the question to see how much interest was out there. I beleive it could be a way to really get things going, a once a year shoot seperate from the Queens, maybe even call something else say The Australian F Class Championships, try and get some sponsors and have some real prizes because lets face it there is very little insentive to compete, the winner is lucky if they get their entry fee back and with the cost of travel ammo etc, I understand why people don't attend, we need to at least try something different and see if it bring people out of the woodwork.
I never intended this idea to take over a Queens, I want it to run as a completely seperate event.
Barry
They might want their stand alone Queens but would they really NOT want the extra money that comes with having us there ?? I doubt it !!
Matt P
Last edited by Matt P on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike H

#11 Postby mike H » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Well Raven, I hope those F/class shooters who attended the National Queens enjoyed themselves, knowing that they were not a quality field.
At least they put up a presence, while the rest of the little champions stayed at home. Now we know snobbery is alive and well, in F/class.
Mike Halloran.

Tom Lowndes

Queens

#12 Postby Tom Lowndes » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Rob

I second the motion.

Tom

RAVEN

#13 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 pm

Mike and Tom I think U have misunderstood my meaning

I was not commenting on the shooters that competed at the nationals
My point was that the numbers at queens are never more than 10 or so
Horsham had 20 odd FO competitors at an OPM and that I fine attractive TO ME!.
But that’s ok I won’t make any smart arse comments back!!!
:P
Wouldn’t U 2 rather compete against a larger field 20- 50 -100 I sure you would Humm maybe?

Matt has asked a question whats your response???

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Its good to see the old inter-state rivalry is alive and well. We really need to harness that energy by pressing ahead with the proposed F-Class interstate teams event at Canberra! :D :D

Tom, who is this Rob you're agreeing with? :lol:

#15 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:41 am

Matt,
Go back to your original post, remove the word "Queens" and replace it with " National F Class Championships" and I think you are on to a good idea.
Discussed this at length with various people last night and some of the suggestions were--
Run this event Bi-anually
Venue---Canberra.
FS Graded ( FO may look at grading also)
"Queens " Format.
On the down side is the expense of running such a meeting considering the numbers of competitors ( which will be small compared to a Queens)
eg Paid markers?
You are also competing against all the state Queens in that year. Some people have unlimited funds and will attend everything that's going but the Majority have to pick and choose.
Ideally you would run it as an event prior to a Queens and probably no more than 2 days.
One BIG problem we have in this country is the vast distances involved and the cost of getting there. This, I am sure is a major reason why numbers are not great at various Queens. eg For us, the cost of going to Brisbane for either the Nationals or the QRA Queens, would cover the cost of attending most of the PM's in Vic for 12 months.
Yes, the Nationals are an important part of our shooting calender but are they more important than the local scene? Personally I don't think so.
I am not knocking your idea, in fact I support the concept. The shooting scene is full of "gunners" always gunner do something but never do, and eventually you are left with the stalwarts--which are few in number.
Yes I know there are some negative thoughts here, but it's the negatives you need consider, not the positives.
Barry

Return to “General Forum”