Nosler RDF projectiles.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Norm

Nosler RDF projectiles.

#1 Postby Norm » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:35 pm

I see that Nosler is bringing out a new line of match projectiles.
They look good on paper, it will be interesting to see how they perform in real life and how much they cost here.
In the States, Midway is selling the .30 cal version for 32 to 36 US cents.

saum2

Re: Nosler RDF projectiles.

#2 Postby saum2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Yeah Norm, checked them out last night, they do look very good and the points are excellent. Hornady ones look better, might be a good thing for competition between Berger, Nosler and Hornady and a price war.

willow

#3 Postby willow » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm interested to see when they will land here. I read a couple of reports on the Hide' and 6mmBR from some shooters who apparently trialled them and the claimed BC appears to be conservative this time around. Whether they are easy to tune and as consistent as the good old Bergers will be the key.

jasmay

#4 Postby jasmay » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:35 am

This is great news, I was a fan of Nosler before I started Fclass, they make great projectiles and I use them in all my hunting applications, I really hope these are up their with Berger, i'll be watching closely.

WELL DONE NOSLER =D> =D> =D>

Norm

#5 Postby Norm » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:41 am

Rebel105 wrote:Yeah Norm, checked them out last night, they do look very good and the points are excellent. Hornady ones look better, might be a good thing for competition between Berger, Nosler and Hornady and a price war.

A couple of blokes are using the Hornady ELD down this way and they do seem to be very consistent. I have a heap of the new Hornady match projectiles but the bearing surface does not suit my throat length so need a new reamer to get the best out of them.

Normmatzen

#6 Postby Normmatzen » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:08 am

I bought 200 of the new RDF 6mm 105 bullets and did some quick measuring. Seems the base to Ogive is way shorter than the A-MAX I had been using. I carefully calculated the difference in effective case capacity with the same bullet jump and per QuickLoad I modified the powder charge to yield the same velocity and barrel time.
I have a new barrel with only 200 rounds and it had been tuned carefully with my Australia made tuner, thank you Peter C!
Went to the range and the RDF's out shot the A-MAXes. So, I bought 1000 more bullets and these were a different lot so I will see how they differ from the first lot. There is a slight difference in SD's of some of the measurements, some better and some worse. Time will tell, it's been raining here a lot and only have been shooting once last month.
Time will tell if Nosler will keep the tooling fresh to maintain consistencies. That was the problem I had with Hornady A-MAXes, the lot to lot variation was poor as well as the distribution of production in general. I complained to Hornady and they told me my measurements were within production limits and they test every lot and they guarantee a 1 MOA group at 100 yds! I don't believe they know most competitors shoot at 10 rings in that order of size!
Norm

Norm

#7 Postby Norm » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:14 am

Where did you buy the 105gn 6mm RDF Noslers?

Normmatzen

#8 Postby Normmatzen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:15 am

Norm,
I got my 105 RDF's from Shooter's Pro Shop in Bend Oregon. They have been selling RDF
"seconds" at VERY low prices. They claim they are only visual blemishes. I and other customers can't seem to find any blemishes on them!
Apparently, this shop has very close connections to Nosler and are the only outlet for "blems."
Could it be that this is a way to get these into the hands of shooters to introduce them?

I bought 200 and calculated the appropriate load based on their difference in measurements to what I was using and found they performed nearly identical to the bullets I had been using. Only performance difference was they made tighter groups!
So, I bought 1000 more! As soon as the rain stops here in "sunny" California, I'll see how this lot shoots. The weights and measurements vary in slightly different ways, but are still good looking bullets. I'm waiting for them to offer a heavy 7mm!
Norm

willow

#9 Postby willow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:54 pm

These bullets are now in shops to purchase. I've picked up 2 boxes of the 105gr 6mm but won't be able to shoot them for 2-3 months until I can get my rifle over to WA. Claremont Firearms also have .22, 6.5 and .30 cal RDFs available.

Norm

#10 Postby Norm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Great to hear. I wonder if anyone on this side of the sand pit has them.

willow

#11 Postby willow » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 am

Norm wrote:Great to hear. I wonder if anyone on this side of the sand pit has them.

Magnum Sports ordered some 140s in for a mate of mine...

Redhawk

#12 Postby Redhawk » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Has anyone had good success with 6mm, 7mm or .30cal’s?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”