The Future

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Barry Davies

Re: The Future

#106 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 am

Which raises the question -- Do we simply want paying non shooting members or do we want actively participating members.
There appears to be plenty of the former but not many of the latter.
This site is a prime example -- how many of those registered actually take part in F Class or Target rifle?
Personally I prefer the actively participating members.

Barry

scott/r

#107 Postby scott/r » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:13 pm

That's a very valid point, Barry. How many clubs accross Australia can say that they have a high percentage of their members actually shooting consistently? If you can get 50% of your members on the range week in week out, then your club will grow by its own accord. Simply by each member talking about what they did on the weekend to their mates and family. We aren't quite there yet, but we are averaging 30 out of 80 every week. But we getting there.
I'm sorry if I'm out of line, but waiting for the state and national boards to fix our problems of membership is like waiting for the local council to come and mow your back yard at home. It isn't going to happen. Go and mow your own grass and stop waiting for stuff to happen for you. It doesn't happen any more unfortunately. Since starting the sporter class at north arm 10 weeks ago, we have seen an average of just over one nww member per week. Probably closer to 2, but we'll just say 1. Now each one of these new membees have already started inquiries into how to get started with building or buying a dedicated fullbore rifle. We've had 2 of them bring mates who have since joined as well. But it all comes back to you, the guys and girls who are already on the mounds shooting. If you aren't there to help and guide these new guys, you may as well pack up and go home yourselves. And granted, a lot of you older guys have been there and done that, but guiding some of the new members to do your leg work for you could be smart business for you and your club for years to come.
Scott.

Barry Davies

#108 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Adam Here, hacking into Barry's account.. Question... I beleive the V.R.A have lost in the vecinity of 80-100 members this financial year.. I have no doubt that contact details for these people would be on record...gaining new members is a wonderful venture but how about finding out why so many have left? It's a simple question, probably easily answered, or is the fear of finding out what is wrong too hard to swallow?

I'll leave that with you Trevor and your "task force" it might be a great place to start.

Adam Davies.

Tim L

#109 Postby Tim L » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Where is the “grand idea”, where is the “vision”?

I think this is where the problem lies, there is none. There is, “We need to grow the sport”, grow it into what exactly? It’s pretty hard to get somewhere when you don’t know where you’re going.

Here are some observations of my shooting career.

Facilities. Belmont has an awesome set of facilities, I’ve used them. I went down with the family for a week long break and stayed in one of the cabins. The intention was to take trips out, a bit of shopping, visit Australia zoo, see the Outback show (awesome show by the way) and intended to do a bit of shooting. Guess which one didn’t happen? Now Google “Accommodation in Belmont”. Disappointing really.

Range accessibility is abysmal. We can’t do much about the geography but it would help if ranges were open. It only takes 2 people, 1 RO and 1 shooter, plus access to the range register. We could learn a lot from the SSAA on that one. Why does an NRAA RO need to know the ins and outs of competition format? To RO at a comp, yes. To conduct safe shooting for load development, zeroing, practice and coaching,,,, not so much!

My personal expedition to represent Australia consisted mainly of finding somewhere to shoot. One would think being selected for the National team might open some doors but I found it far easier to access SSAA facilities and private property and do my shooting there. What does this say of our sport? I hear cries of pandering to the elite but it didn’t happen for me, not on my local range nor the State range, and I am an RO! How on earth do we expect new and junior shooters to progress when we make it so hard!

And finally, who is the NRAA media officer? Consecutive gold medals in the WCs for F Open, World Champion shooter and Silver for the Ftr team. I remember when Benn Emms won the US Nationals and Matt Pozzibon took a championship win over in the US. I was driving back from Queens or Nationals in Belmont listening to the radio. I didn’t hear about the wins on the radio, no, I heard about “extreme frizby” as a blossoming sport. Two International wins,,,,, not a peep!

So here’s “my” vision. Every State range should have accommodation on site. (Let’s say at least enough to accommodate the State teams shoot). That accommodation, with ‘safe storage’, and any spare camping ground, should be open to tourists, whether shooters or not. Run that as a business, with block bookings for major events to accommodate shooters). Funnily enough, there are businesses out there that survive on this alone. It will take management, hands up for that job, but you’re behind me! The staff need to be able to open the range and conduct safe shooting, every day. There should be loading facilities because everyone knows they can’t fly with enough ammo for Queens. Teams are accommodated for free by the hosting State. Individual shooters at queens get a discounted rate with preference to out of State travelers.
I appreciate there are going to be hurdles, but you don’t pull up at a hurdle, you jump it or run through it.
Many have said how the SSAA run as a business,,,,Well the tourist business is huge!

Trevor Rhodes

#110 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:09 pm

Building accommodation lies the problem in Victoria 1/ cost, 2/ Members who pay for this in their subs would jump up and down saying why ,they would never use it. 3/city council would not allow permits on so many different grounds. Good idea though l'v been pushing for power and watered caravan site for years but can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Peter Hulett

#111 Postby Peter Hulett » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Tim L wrote:Range accessibility is abysmal. We can’t do much about the geography but it would help if ranges were open. It only takes 2 people, 1 RO and 1 shooter, plus access to the range register. We could learn a lot from the SSAA on that one. Why does an NRAA RO need to know the ins and outs of competition format? To RO at a comp, yes. To conduct safe shooting for load development, zeroing, practice and coaching,,,, not so much!!

Tim, I agree with you about this. In Victoria all that is needed to become a Club level accredited RO is that you do the test paper (not onerous, you can complete it in a group setting and certainly covers safety) and have the approval of your Club Captain. This is to encourage as many members as possible to become ROs. I believe that NSW now has a similar system. Also we don't have the problem of the range register. That is a Queensland only contribution to uniform gun laws.

Tim L

#112 Postby Tim L » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:36 pm

You don't have to 'build' anything Trevor. I live on a mine site, it's been here 15 years but there isn't a permanent accomodation structure on site. If you've got power and water you've got everything you need.
It's not really for the members to use, it's for guests to use. The ones who come and give you the money to use. Currently we only apply for sporting Grant's, what about tourism grants? Here's one
TDDI project categories

TDDI projects should address one or more of the following infrastructure categories:

Environmental – the development or enhancement of natural assets such as, but not limited to, protected and recreational areas, public spaces such as beaches and parks and walking trails.
Built – such as, but not limited to, mixed-used facilities, exhibition, convention and events facilities, cultural institutions, entertainment and sporting facilities, city/town precincts and tourist attractions.

Tim L

#113 Postby Tim L » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Whilst the shooting fraternaty seems to spend a lot of time moaning about our shooting laws, why not turn that on its head. We have the safest shooting laws in the world, even Howard says so. Why not promote one of the safest sports in the country as a tourist attraction?
Come, stay, shoot.
Take a look at PRS from the outside. It's not just a tacticool version of long range shooting, it provides training. $750 a head for a 2 day course. And people pay. Look at the course content and tell me you dont have the equivilant depth of knowledge in our discipline. Who taught us to shoot?

!Peter!

#114 Postby !Peter! » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am

Tim L wrote:Whilst the shooting fraternaty seems to spend a lot of time moaning about our shooting laws, why not turn that on its head. We have the safest shooting laws in the world, even Howard says so.

Shooting is much much safer the javelin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdpeOdtsNDU

RDavies

#115 Postby RDavies » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Many good suggestions in here, some easy and workable and some not. I have only one simple suggestion which will work.

WE need information flyers and posters at gun shops like SSAA does.

How about some of you go to a gun shop in your area who doesn't know you and ask where can you shoot long range? I bet they will have no idea or will say contact SSAA, it is all they know.
I have done this out of interest and asked a few gun shops where I can shoot long range. All either said no idea, or they pointed me in the direction of the local SSAA range. I have only ever once seen "want to try long range target shooting" flyers at a gun shop, which was at Magnum Sports in Sydney which had visible handouts about long range shooting at Hornsby range. See how Hornsby range is going, its packed.

How much would it cost to print out 100 glossy fliers with a picture of some target rifles, a brief mud map of the range, contacts and shooting disciplines, put in a holder you can buy from office works then ask the gunshop if you can put these flyers on the counter? Then print out a few bigger posters to see if your local gun shop will put them on the wall. This would have to be done at club level, pointing current active shooters towards your club.
Last edited by RDavies on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott/r

#116 Postby scott/r » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:44 pm

That's a cool idea Rod. I'll look into that this weekend.

Wal86

#117 Postby Wal86 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:
Wal86 wrote:Something to think about Trevor and others envolved at the VRA which I think would be helpful...

Firstly new membership applications need to be made easier... This whole/current system is not inclusive to new members...
Currently new members have to find an "excepting club" once a new member finds a club they then have to be second in by a current member of that particular club... This is complete rubbish, and delays the process.

We need to refine the membership process, firstly memberships should go through the VRA and the applicant should then nominate his/her club which they wish to join.. Funds from memberships are then transfered to club nominated etc..

We also need to make ranges more accessible, the VRA needs to have a calendar online which shows all clubs syllabus, so members/long range shooters from other clubs wanting to shoot can look it up and go there on that particular day and practice/compete..

We need members to be shooting on all ranges not just their own clubs/ or when they travel to a PM. Practice days are great for meeting new shooters having a chat in a less competitive environment of a PM or Queens..
This will also help struggling clubs financially as more shooters will go through their gates. (put on a BBQ and a few beers), helps potential new members, find a club nearest to them and what suits their needs... This will attract all long range shooters, that are trying to do load development or just want to put wholes in paper.

I also believe this will help with junior development, as the hardest part with juniors is the lack of juniors at one particular club..

Just a thought,

Alan

Alan that is a great idea posting on the VRA site the syllabus of all clubs. Will talk to Nikki Tuesday about send out to club secretaries and see if they are happy with it being on the site.
Cheers Trevor

Trevor,

Was a online calendar of club syllabus ever mentioned to the VRA? If so what has been the feed back from both the VRA and clubs?

Cheers

Trevor Rhodes

#118 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Alan
Yes Nikki is contacting clubs to find out if they are compliant with supplying a syllabus.

Trevor Rhodes

#119 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Wal86 wrote:
Trevor Rhodes wrote:
Wal86 wrote:Something to think about Trevor and others envolved at the VRA which I think would be helpful...

Firstly new membership applications need to be made easier... This whole/current system is not inclusive to new members...
Currently new members have to find an "excepting club" once a new member finds a club they then have to be second in by a current member of that particular club... This is complete rubbish, and delays the process.

We need to refine the membership process, firstly memberships should go through the VRA and the applicant should then nominate his/her club which they wish to join.. Funds from memberships are then transfered to club nominated etc..

We also need to make ranges more accessible, the VRA needs to have a calendar online which shows all clubs syllabus, so members/long range shooters from other clubs wanting to shoot can look it up and go there on that particular day and practice/compete..

We need members to be shooting on all ranges not just their own clubs/ or when they travel to a PM. Practice days are great for meeting new shooters having a chat in a less competitive environment of a PM or Queens..
This will also help struggling clubs financially as more shooters will go through their gates. (put on a BBQ and a few beers), helps potential new members, find a club nearest to them and what suits their needs... This will attract all long range shooters, that are trying to do load development or just want to put wholes in paper.

I also believe this will help with junior development, as the hardest part with juniors is the lack of juniors at one particular club..

Just a thought,

Alan

Alan that is a great idea posting on the VRA site the syllabus of all clubs. Will talk to Nikki Tuesday about send out to club secretaries and see if they are happy with it being on the site.
Cheers Trevor

Trevor,

Was a online calendar of club syllabus ever mentioned to the VRA? If so what has been the feed back from both the VRA and clubs?

Cheers
Nikki and John Branton are working on this.

Wal86

#120 Postby Wal86 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Great News Trevor...
Might help if two members from each club could log on to the VRA website, to update the calendar.. Just incase a practice is cancelled/ total fire ban etc..

Cheers
Alan

Return to “General Forum”