a funny advertisement

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Message
Author
bruce moulds
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:07 pm

a funny advertisement

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:49 am

just saw an ad for "precision gongs" on special.
the two words have opposite meanings when it comes to shooting.
they are even insufficient for zeroing a hunting rifle.
gong shooters use those targets in order to avoid the pursuit of precision because it makes their brains hurt.
obviously that kind of advertising works, or it would no be used.
this begs the question how many boneheads are really out there?
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Barry Davies
Posts: 1194
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:16 am

You really would not want to know Bruce.

MaxBC
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#3 Postby MaxBC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:59 pm

bruce moulds wrote:just saw an ad for "precision gongs" on special.
the two words have opposite meanings when it comes to shooting.
they are even insufficient for zeroing a hunting rifle.
gong shooters use those targets in order to avoid the pursuit of precision because it makes their brains hurt.
obviously that kind of advertising works, or it would no be used.
this begs the question how many boneheads are really out there?
keep safe,
bruce.

Sorry,I had a chuckle reading this!
The lack of correct punctuation and capital letters made my head hurt,perhaps a week off from weighing projectiles and have a go at the pursuit of precision grammar.

bruce moulds
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#4 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:10 pm

not quite sure what my lack of capitals and punctuation have to do with people falling for strange advertising claims.
or weighing projectiles for that matter.
does the comma between hurt and perhaps represent and example of what to strive for in the suggested pursuit?
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

UL1700
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#5 Postby UL1700 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:14 am

MaxBC wrote:Sorry,I had a chuckle reading this!
The lack of correct punctuation and capital letters made my head hurt,perhaps a week off from weighing projectiles and have a go at the pursuit of precision grammar.


I've been weighing a lot of lead recently but try this :D

Sorry, I had a chuckle reading this!
The lack of correct punctuation and capital letters made my head hurt. Perhaps try a week off from weighing projectiles and have a go at the pursuit of precision grammar.

SunnyCoast 5r
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#6 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Whilst I note the oxymoron (a gong does suggest less precision than a FClass target may provide) I think the point is that there are shooting sports that utilise the satisfying aural reassurance of a hit.

So yep, funny in ‘Dad joke’ sort of way...

SunnyCoast 5r
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#7 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:48 pm

PS don’t forget that PRS is already looking very popular and they are mad for the gongs!

pigdog
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#8 Postby pigdog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am

Bruce I'm one of those boneheads who shoots a gong. I will be the first to admit that I'm no F class shooter and my accuracy standards would be much less than f class. I do enjoy trying to get the best accuracy I can out of my humble system though.

The reason for me shooting gongs is I shoot alone on the farm and at 800m I can spot my own shots and watch the impact on the gong which I quite enjoy. Sometimes I put a cardboard up to shoot "groups" but this is far less enjoyable than watching the dust fly up from that gong impact.

I don't shoot PRS either.

Roger68
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:07 am
Location: Portland

Re: a funny advertisement

#9 Postby Roger68 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 pm

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks! Why poke shit at people because they enjoy shooting different things? we are all shooters at the end of the day! This kind of thing has always split the shooting community and no wonder we are a dying sport!!!

basil
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#10 Postby basil » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Roger68 wrote:It all boils down to different strokes for different folks! Why poke shit at people because they enjoy shooting different things? we are all shooters at the end of the day! This kind of thing has always split the shooting community and no wonder we are a dying sport!!!

Does this help? "1/4" precision gong", "1/2 semi precision gong" "6" non precision gong"

watrob
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#11 Postby watrob » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 pm

basil wrote:
Roger68 wrote:It all boils down to different strokes for different folks! Why poke shit at people because they enjoy shooting different things? we are all shooters at the end of the day! This kind of thing has always split the shooting community and no wonder we are a dying sport!!!

Does this help? "1/4" precision gong", "1/2 semi precision gong" "6" non precision gong"


So what do you call a Gong that does not go Gong?

scott/r
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 pm
Location: far north brisbane

Re: a funny advertisement

#12 Postby scott/r » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:48 pm

watrob wrote:
basil wrote:
Roger68 wrote:It all boils down to different strokes for different folks! Why poke shit at people because they enjoy shooting different things? we are all shooters at the end of the day! This kind of thing has always split the shooting community and no wonder we are a dying sport!!!

Does this help? "1/4" precision gong", "1/2 semi precision gong" "6" non precision gong"


So what do you call a Gong that does not go Gong?


A NONg :lol:

watrob
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#13 Postby watrob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:15 am

scott/r wrote:
watrob wrote:
basil wrote:Does this help? "1/4" precision gong", "1/2 semi precision gong" "6" non precision gong"


So what do you call a Gong that does not go Gong?


A NONg :lol:


No a "Miss"

basil
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#14 Postby basil » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 pm

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle of my standard 2' gong, its now a precision gong. It always NONgs when I shoot at it at 1000 yards. Every shot is obviously going through the 1/4" precision hole, otherwise it would gong. :^o

watrob
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: a funny advertisement

#15 Postby watrob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:10 pm

You should post those small 1000 yard .250" size groups up, I assume there 10 shots not 5, I mean anyone can shoot 5 shoot groups at that range?


Return to “General Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bsouthernau, phillh, SMITHTON and 6 guests