firearms, ammunition and powder transport to tazzy??

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

firearms, ammunition and powder transport to tazzy??

#1 Postby BATattack » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:41 pm

hi everyone!

I know we are all hanging on every detail from raton but with the time and planning it takes to coordinate the logistics of a teams event I have been wondering what people have discovered about the upcoming tazzy nationals.

most of our team is looking at flying but we will be sending one or two vehicles with one towing a box trailer.

has anyone found any information or had any correspondence with the ferry opperators regarding-

a: how they require forearms to be stored/ secured

b: how much powder can be transported and how does it need to be stored?

c: are we able to transport other peoples rifles with permission letters?

just looking to get a bit of a information pool going and hopefully prevent the ferry operators hearing the same questions from a dozen people!

bobeager

Firearms on the Ferry

#2 Postby bobeager » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 am

Ring the nice people at the contact centre on 1 800 634 906 and they will go through the proceedure with you.

Essentially, you have to complete a Firearms Declaration Form and check in 2 hours earlier than normal.

The Firearms and ammunition will be taken from your vehicle and stored in a lockup for the trip over. Note that they take no responsibility for the security (loss or damage) of your kit.

BATattack

#3 Postby BATattack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:42 am

Geez i hope they have a daym big safe!! What are they gonna do with 20 rifles and several thousand rounds of ammo??

Especially if more than one state wants to arrive/ leave on the same ferry?!

agro

#4 Postby agro » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Read question 9 in the general question section,
http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/faqs ... -questions

When I went to tassie in 2010 I had my rifle secured in a lockable case and the bolt and ammo stored in a seperate locked metal toolbox. You took these to their secured trailer and they gave you docket for them. Before leaving the ferry at Devonport you placed this docket on the dashboard of your car so that the security guard can direct you to the secure trailer to pickup your items. I had no issues at all.

macguru

#5 Postby macguru » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Why dont you jus leave it in the boot and dont tell them ?
that would save all the crap
they would never know .......

Andrew

macguru

#6 Postby macguru » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:58 pm

copy
Last edited by macguru on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewP

#7 Postby AndrewP » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:46 am

BATattack,

Below are the requirements from the Spirit of Tasmania Firearms Declaration.

"All Firearms are to be surrendered to Shore Security Officers for storage by owners prior to the
voyage, as per clause 30(a) (i) and (b) (i) of the Terms & Conditions of Carriage.
1. Firearms must be unloaded and securely stowed in approved containers (leather bag, gun
case or similar) with bolts and magazines removed.
2. Ammunition must be kept in a robust or solid container suitable for the purpose of travel and
submitted to a Security Officer for storage prior to the voyage.
3. Ammunition will be transported separately in a locked container with the passenger name on
the box.
4. Firearms and ammunition must be stored separately in locked containers.
5. If possible, firearms fitted with a safety lock must be locked.
6. Gun Powder cannot be carried.
7. Firearms are to be collected from Shore Security Officers on arrival after disembarkation.
8. Photo identification and baggage claim ticket stub must be shown to Port Security Officers to
collect firearms and ammunition in the arriving port."

Note item 6 does not allow powder to be carried. From my enquiries with Tasmanian shooters powder supply is very limited and mostly 308/223 types.
The only reliable avenue for FO shooters is to take loaded rounds.

I know of one shooter who tried to bluff the security check and got caught. He was very lucky to be allowed to travel at all. So it pays to follow the rules.

I have also been advised not to submit the Firearm Declarations until a few weeks before travelling as they can get lost in the system.

Hope this helps.
Andrew Pearce

bobeager

#8 Postby bobeager » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm

I might have trouble trying to bluff through with "GUN 10X" as a numberplate!!!!!

macguru

#9 Postby macguru » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Right ... thats none too subtle , Bob :shock:

BATattack

#10 Postby BATattack » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 am

agro wrote:Read question 9 in the general question section,
http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/faqs ... -questions

When I went to tassie in 2010 I had my rifle secured in a lockable case and the bolt and ammo stored in a seperate locked metal toolbox. You took these to their secured trailer and they gave you docket for them. Before leaving the ferry at Devonport you placed this docket on the dashboard of your car so that the security guard can direct you to the secure trailer to pickup your items. I had no issues at all.

how big is this trailer? I don't know how the other teams are planning on transporting all their gear but if a couple of teams ended up on the same ferry things might get pretty tight! especially when your read "firearms must be secured in a case ie leather" haha do they have any idea how big a f class rifle is in a hard case??

its going to be a bit of a mission loading and unloading 20 rifles!

yeahhhhhhh if it was just for my personal gear bluffing might not be an issue. . . . but to have the whole teams gear confiscated or banned from traveling it just wouldn't be worth it :(

powder. . . . . find some artillery shells at aussie disposals and dump a can of powder in each one . . . you want it in loaded ammo . . .you GOT IT!

bartman007

Special pass

#11 Postby bartman007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:38 am

Don't you have a special pass?

If you are from Victoria and went over last year, then you'll be fine.

After all, they treat us like cousins being that we are so close and all that :-)

Return to “General Forum”