Primers Again….

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Ando967

Primers Again….

#1 Postby Ando967 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:58 am

Hi all,

More of a whinge hear than anything else… what is everyone doing about the small rifle magnum primer situation? I assume a lot of people here shoot high pressure small rifle cartridges, 6 dasher, 6BR, 6.5x 47, 6 Creedmoor, the list goes on..

I had what I thought was a reasonable supply, 3000. But since about 2020 I haven’t seen them, none of the LGS can say if/when they’re going to get them again.

I have a 6.5 x 47L that pierces primers that aren’t CCI 450 or BR4s. Short of finding some more through an estate sale I think I’m going to have to send the action off to a smith to have the bolt bushed and pin turned so I can try some other brands, an expensive fix. I’ll probably get another barrel spun up at the same time.

I can’t be the only person in this boat?? Seeing as supply doesn’t look likely to improve anytime should I be thinking of switching cartridges? Its already cost me a Jewell Trigger…

Love to hear some thoughts of people in similar binds.

I’m in Tassie too which is t helping the supply problem.

Daveh

Re: Primers Again….

#2 Postby Daveh » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:01 pm

I had the same problem with 6.5x47. Went with the bushing in the bolt and slimmed down the firing pin. It works great and problem gone. Glad I went that way before I had to find another bolt. Can use any primer that I can find.

It wasn't what I would call expensive, far from it and the work done was excellent. A box of primers costs more than I was charged.

Regards
Dave

Downes Equestrian

#3 Postby Downes Equestrian » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:44 am

definitely a problem for me but have worked around it by purchasing .308 Palma brass and necking down for my .260 rem and .260 Ackley. so now I can go SMP or LRP

superx10

#4 Postby superx10 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:43 am

There are now a heap of white river primes coming on to the market that suppose to be very similar to CCI

Return to “General Forum”