TR - how do you do your load development

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

SteveG

TR - how do you do your load development

#1 Postby SteveG » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:34 pm

Relatively new TR shooter here - less than a year.
I've got to the point with my shooting where I think I should do some proper load development so I know that its not my loads holding me back.

My current load is Lapua SRP brass, 46gr AR2208, 155gr Sierra 2156 projectiles. Paramount action with 30" benchmark med palma barrel.
Basically I just chose what I considered a reasonable load based on various sources of info, worked up from a couple of grains lower to confirm there were no issues and stuck with that load as it seemed to be shooting OK.
As a reference - last weekend in good conditions my best strings were a 48.3@700m and a 48.5@800

With a TR rifle how do you handle the sighting aspect for load development? Do you fit a scope or just use the normal aperture sights?
What distance do you do your load development at, and do you shoot off bags or a rest etc?

Steve

Lachlan

Re: TR - how do you do your load development

#2 Postby Lachlan » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:00 pm

This is from a dirty FO shooter, so disregard my opinion as you see fit, but…

In my brain, the only efficient and effective way to sort loads in a TR rifle, is to do loads like any other F Class/precision rifle. Mount a scope, buy or borrow a really good rest (hopefully your fellow F Class shooters in your club can help you out), fit a front bag rider, borrow or buy a rear bag and shoot your loads at 100. Not fitting a scope to find a load for a TR is insane in my book.

Wakey7

#3 Postby Wakey7 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:02 pm

Load development ( in my opinion ) should always be done with the rifle setup as close as possible to how it will be used in competition.

Rich4

#4 Postby Rich4 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:15 pm

Mount a scope and use a sandbag for extra support, I feel that is the closest to actual use with the most precision.

SteveG

#5 Postby SteveG » Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:06 pm

Thanks for the responses. I've shot it with the forestock sitting on a hard rest a couple of times and certainly feels like it behaves differently than when shot with a sling.
Sort of twangy and you really notice the muzzle jump (which is always there just not as obvious with the sling).
So I definitely get the concept of keeping it as close to shooting config as possible when doing load development.

Rich4 - when you say "sandbag for extra support" are meaning to use a front sandbag in addition to normal sling/jacket - or instead of?

Steve

Rich4

#6 Postby Rich4 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:03 am

As well as, and not a front rest from f class, different animal, I mean a pile of dirty old cloth bags with a plastic bag inside it to stop the sand leaking out, however many wherever necessary to get the correct support for your prone position to be solid as a rock while allowing recoil tracking consistently, the idea is to remove the wobble but keep the recoil management intact.
The scope may not be necessary depending on your eyesight but it removes doubt for most.

SteveG

#7 Postby SteveG » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:09 am

Thanks Rich. Makes sense.

Steve

Barossa_222

#8 Postby Barossa_222 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:37 pm

Don't you just stuff a handful of black powder down the barrel, chuck the ball on top and ram it down with the ramrod?

scott/r

#9 Postby scott/r » Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:26 pm

Barossa_222 wrote:Don't you just stuff a handful of black powder down the barrel, chuck the ball on top and ram it down with the ramrod?

No. He's asking about tr, not ftr. :D :D

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”